My Photo
Name:
Location: Pasadena, California, United States

Saturday, February 03, 2007

A Day in the Life...

So, hear is how my day (Saturday: 02.03.2007) went :

5.45am: Woke up
6.15am: Found out I had a 100.1 temperature
6.45am: Left for bike ride
6.50am: Right before getting on the freeway, realized I left cycling shoes at home
7.00am: Got cycling shoes
7.32am: AMAZINGLY arrived at Woodland Hills Recreational area
8.15am: Start riding, focus today: HILLS (this becomes important)
switching to mileage...
Mile 18, front Derailleur breaks... to fix the glitch I was forced to "fix" my chain onto the largest ring (not the gear you want for going up hill), however my rear derailleur is still 100%
Mile 37, front derailleur breaks... again... now my quick fix results in the smallest ring (thus resulting in my spinning for the next 9 miles.
Mile 46, debris is not noticed in time. Don't worry, I found it. It was a huge rock that meets my front tire sending me over the front of my bike, keeping me connected by the cleats. Don't worry, the ground broke my fall. However, my shoulder, elbow, and hip are a little road burned. Seriously... NOTHING bad AT ALL.
Mile 46 and about 6 feet (my estimate as to how far the fall took me), I decide to take a five minute break to look back my day and laugh.
**Oddly enough, the fall did break my right pedal, but caused that damn front derailleur to go into the middle ring, making the rest of my ride WAY easier to deal with**
Mile 65.7 I find myself back at my car and on my way home. Golden.

I write this email in completely good humor. This is the day I had, but I loved it! I think it is hilarious. The great thing is that my fever is gone, I am hardly sore (right now), I accomplished things I never thought I would have been able to (riding almost 20 miles uphill on my large ring), I was every one's "hero for the day", and I finished the ride. When asked why I bothered, I told one person "I don't quit."

I know this may not sound that great to anyone. I know that about 2 people are going to read this, but I am proud of myself. I wanted to quit, and I didn't. Some people may know this, but I have been dating the most amazing woman EVER for over 7 months now, and she ran the San Francisco Marathon a while back. During the marathon she called me (yes, while running) telling me that she was having a really hard time and was hurting badly. She finished the run and stayed positive through the entire thing. All I thought about during my ride was her and her actions during that run. She is amazing. She is one of my heroes. Among the others who have had similar impacts: Dad, Mom, Jen, Angie, and Micah. I find myself to be blessed with so many positive influences in my life. Thank you to these 6 people for allowing me to be a part of your life and for being such a positive part my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home