My Photo
Name:
Location: Pasadena, California, United States

Monday, March 19, 2007

Money for the Masses

Let me explain something about today’s “job market”. And keep in mind that when I say “job market”, I mean that thing that people look at to earn an income which would have the possibilities of surpassing the current cost of living in the area in which it exist. However, with my living in Los Angeles, I am about to prove this to be very, VERY wrong.

I lost my job (laid off of sorts) a little over a week ago. Since then, I have applied to well over 30 jobs. Actually, I am sitting at and waiting for my next interview (#2 of all my applications… I have had better odds in Vegas). But I will discuss this further in a few more paragraphs. Of all these wonderful applications, the highest paying job has been $65K, but the average salary for the positions I am applying (and I feel I am over qualified for) is $34K per year. Keep in mind that I am coming from a job where my salary was $51K per year (give or take). So where does this bring me…

I live with my parents, have forty thousand dollars in student debt, and hopes of owning a home by the time I was 30. Yeah, I gave up on that. The cost of a one bedroom in the area is $1,000.00/month, student loan payments $600.00, utility bills $200.00, cell phone $80.00 (if you are lucky), gas $160.00 (based on my last position of a 40 mile commute each day to work), bringing the total monthly expenses to $2,040.00. My last job, before bonus, on a base pay of $39,000 per year gave me paychecks of $1,000.00. Two paychecks at that amount give me $2,000.00 a month. I have a college degree, TEN years of experience in the banking industry, and no job. Awesome right? Not to mention that it will officially cost more to live in the area of my work than I get paid and that is based on a pay scale higher than the average in the area. Now, if you ask any of my friends they will agree with me that I am not a person who thinks the government should get involved in much (since they fail at most), but there needs to be something that takes care of people in my situation (which I think includes A LOT). I have no insurance. I am going to China (a ticket I bought before being laid off) with no insurance, and no job to come home to. Maybe I should just stay there and get a job. They will have a stronger world influence soon, if not already. They will have a stronger economy… I wonder why? Maybe they are using people in their work force who have degrees, experience, and common sense. It makes me wonder about our economy. Are we a country who deserves the right to hold power? Probably not. We just eeked our way through the years f-ing every one over enough to get ahead. So here we are... A failed society, a falling economy, and the unemployment of the educated.

Some how there is a comfort in the idea that the term “Four More Years” will not be heard in the next election.

Good luck to the future, because they will need it.

My first interview was for REI… they pay $9.25 an hour.

Oh… and did I mention that my interview right now is for Starbucks? Hoping they will give me over 35 hours a week and pay me more than $8.00 an hour. At least I have a degree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home